Wish Me Away Opens in Gotham
BY Neal Broverman
June 03 2012 1:33 PM ET
Chely Wright's documentary film Wish Me Away premiered in New York Friday, and critics are warming to the country star's harrowing coming-out story.
The New York Daily News liked the film's coverage of Wright's relationship with her family, while The New York Times calls part of the film "heartbreaking."
"By the end you may not be a fan of her music," writes the Times' Jeannette Catsoulis, "but it's hard not to root for her rebirth."
The film opens June 15 in Los Angeles. Watch the trailer below.
- Bruce Jenner Ends Speculation, Comes Out as Transgender Woman
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- Ted Cruz/OUT NYC Fallout: Broadway Cares Cancels Benefit at Hotel
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times
- 7 Lessons in How (And How Not) to Interview Trans People
- AIDS Org. Made Men Over 40 Pay to Attend Pool Party