Wish Me Away Opens in Gotham
BY Neal Broverman
June 03 2012 1:33 PM ET
Chely Wright's documentary film Wish Me Away premiered in New York Friday, and critics are warming to the country star's harrowing coming-out story.
The New York Daily News liked the film's coverage of Wright's relationship with her family, while The New York Times calls part of the film "heartbreaking."
"By the end you may not be a fan of her music," writes the Times' Jeannette Catsoulis, "but it's hard not to root for her rebirth."
The film opens June 15 in Los Angeles. Watch the trailer below.
- Op-ed: Gay Nightlife Is Dead — Long Live Gay Nightlife
- WATCH: Sprint Sends Customer Email to 'Gay Sissyboy'
- Op-ed: Rethinking the Shame Game Against Homophobes
- RuPaul's Drag Race, Logo TV Apologize for Transphobic Slur
- WATCH: Ala. Woman Charged With Murder of Son's Boyfriend
- Op-ed: How Not to React When an LGBT Teacher Is Fired