Wish Me Away Opens in Gotham
BY Neal Broverman
June 03 2012 1:33 PM ET
Chely Wright's documentary film Wish Me Away premiered in New York Friday, and critics are warming to the country star's harrowing coming-out story.
The New York Daily News liked the film's coverage of Wright's relationship with her family, while The New York Times calls part of the film "heartbreaking."
"By the end you may not be a fan of her music," writes the Times' Jeannette Catsoulis, "but it's hard not to root for her rebirth."
The film opens June 15 in Los Angeles. Watch the trailer below.
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: What I Learned From My High School's Gay English Teacher
- WATCH: Daily Show Correspondent Takes on Antigay Ark. Pastor
- WATCH: A Straight Wedding Morphs Into a Gay Proposal
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series