Curtain Up 2012!
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 12 2012 7:11 PM ET
Satan’s Angel: Queen of the Fire Tassels
Surely a worthy piece of lesbian history, Satan’s Angel is director Joshua Dragotta’s delightfully fascinating look at lesbian burlesque star Satan's Angel, a ribald bad girl who has been setting nightclubs ablaze with her legendary flaming tassel act from the early 1960s to today. Now 68, Angel Walker is a tough old broad (who, I might add, still brings in thousands of fans to her shows to watch her swing titty tassels that are literally on fire — a patented move only she and a few Walker-trained queer girl burlesquers can do today). The documentary goes through Walker’s rebellious childhood and her affairs with both women and men (including movie stars she dated and men she married even though she was an out lesbian from her teen years on) to her most recent long-term relationship, with a devoted adoring butch gal named Vic. “Her openness and honesty granted her a lifetime of amazing and adventurous experiences,” says Dragotta. Both a look at one pioneer and brief glimpse at the vast history of burlesque (a performance movement that’s been reinvented in recent years by queer performers) — all with a dose of campy goodness — Satan’s Angel is sure to be a crowd pleaser for all (adult) audiences. July 15, 6:30 p.m., REDCAT.
- Op-ed: 'Religious Discrimination' Laws Have Nothing to Do With Religion
- MSNBC Shake-Up Means Big Role for Thomas Roberts
- Mike Pence 'Abhors' Discrimination? His Record Shows Otherwise
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Arrow and The Flash Stars: It's Time for a Gay Superhero on TV
- WATCH: Seth Meyers Takes Down Indiana's New Antigay Legislation