Curtain Up 2012!
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 12 2012 7:11 PM ET
Satan’s Angel: Queen of the Fire Tassels
Surely a worthy piece of lesbian history, Satan’s Angel is director Joshua Dragotta’s delightfully fascinating look at lesbian burlesque star Satan's Angel, a ribald bad girl who has been setting nightclubs ablaze with her legendary flaming tassel act from the early 1960s to today. Now 68, Angel Walker is a tough old broad (who, I might add, still brings in thousands of fans to her shows to watch her swing titty tassels that are literally on fire — a patented move only she and a few Walker-trained queer girl burlesquers can do today). The documentary goes through Walker’s rebellious childhood and her affairs with both women and men (including movie stars she dated and men she married even though she was an out lesbian from her teen years on) to her most recent long-term relationship, with a devoted adoring butch gal named Vic. “Her openness and honesty granted her a lifetime of amazing and adventurous experiences,” says Dragotta. Both a look at one pioneer and brief glimpse at the vast history of burlesque (a performance movement that’s been reinvented in recent years by queer performers) — all with a dose of campy goodness — Satan’s Angel is sure to be a crowd pleaser for all (adult) audiences. July 15, 6:30 p.m., REDCAT.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- That's Amoré! 11 Irresistible Images of What Happened When Rome Recognized Same-Sex Marriages
- WATCH: In Pat Robertson's Latest Diatribe, Gays Are 'Terrorists'
- #TBT: Halloween Exhibitionism
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men