Curtain Up 2012!
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 12 2012 7:11 PM ET
Satan’s Angel: Queen of the Fire Tassels
Surely a worthy piece of lesbian history, Satan’s Angel is director Joshua Dragotta’s delightfully fascinating look at lesbian burlesque star Satan's Angel, a ribald bad girl who has been setting nightclubs ablaze with her legendary flaming tassel act from the early 1960s to today. Now 68, Angel Walker is a tough old broad (who, I might add, still brings in thousands of fans to her shows to watch her swing titty tassels that are literally on fire — a patented move only she and a few Walker-trained queer girl burlesquers can do today). The documentary goes through Walker’s rebellious childhood and her affairs with both women and men (including movie stars she dated and men she married even though she was an out lesbian from her teen years on) to her most recent long-term relationship, with a devoted adoring butch gal named Vic. “Her openness and honesty granted her a lifetime of amazing and adventurous experiences,” says Dragotta. Both a look at one pioneer and brief glimpse at the vast history of burlesque (a performance movement that’s been reinvented in recent years by queer performers) — all with a dose of campy goodness — Satan’s Angel is sure to be a crowd pleaser for all (adult) audiences. July 15, 6:30 p.m., REDCAT.
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- PHOTOS: Pride for Days In San Francisco
- Arkansas County Clerk Resigns Over Marriage Equality
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- An Open Letter to Clarence Thomas From an Interracial Lesbian Couple
- Texas Pastor Now Says He Didn't Mean He'd Really Set Himself Aflame