Who Should Be Cast in the Remake of Baby Jane?
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 19 2012 10:30 PM ET
The careers of screen greats Bette Davis and Joan Crawford experienced a resurgence in popularity after costarring in the 1962 chiller Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? and now, with a remake looming, will lightning strike twice?
Action director Walter Hill recently announced plans to helm a remake of the Grand Guignol classic—considered a rite-of-passage viewing for many gay men—about the two middle-aged Hudson sisters, a one-time child star and the other a disabled movie queen, who live together in a dilapidated mansion. The story has already suffered a rather tepid redo as a 1991 television movie that starred real-life sisters Lynn and Vanessa Redragve.
Los Angeles Times has compiled some creative casting ideas for the latest update. Among them are a reteaming of Meryl Streep and Glenn Close, who have already costarred in two films. "A dream team for sure," writes LAT's Jim Brooks. "After all, Close can bring the crazy (some Fatal Attraction, please), and Streep is long-suffering better than anyone else (Sophie's Choice, The Deer Hunter, The French Lieutenant's Woman). But firmly entrenched in their 60s, are they too old? Remarkably enough, Davis and Crawford were only in their mid-50s when asked to play the trippy Hudson sisters."
Brooks also ponders a face-off between Bette Midler and Sigourney Weaver or Faye Dunaway vs. Shirley MacLaine. He even lists some admittedly silly possibilities, including the Olsen twins or a first on-screen teaming of one-time romantic rivals Jennifer Aniston and Angelina Jolie.
Who would you like to see portray these iconic characters? Watch the trailer for the 1962 film below.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 53 min 3 sec ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 2 hours 16 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 2 hours 31 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 2 hours 48 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM