Who Should Be Cast in the Remake of Baby Jane?
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 19 2012 10:30 PM ET
The careers of screen greats Bette Davis and Joan Crawford experienced a resurgence in popularity after costarring in the 1962 chiller Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? and now, with a remake looming, will lightning strike twice?
Action director Walter Hill recently announced plans to helm a remake of the Grand Guignol classic—considered a rite-of-passage viewing for many gay men—about the two middle-aged Hudson sisters, a one-time child star and the other a disabled movie queen, who live together in a dilapidated mansion. The story has already suffered a rather tepid redo as a 1991 television movie that starred real-life sisters Lynn and Vanessa Redragve.
Los Angeles Times has compiled some creative casting ideas for the latest update. Among them are a reteaming of Meryl Streep and Glenn Close, who have already costarred in two films. "A dream team for sure," writes LAT's Jim Brooks. "After all, Close can bring the crazy (some Fatal Attraction, please), and Streep is long-suffering better than anyone else (Sophie's Choice, The Deer Hunter, The French Lieutenant's Woman). But firmly entrenched in their 60s, are they too old? Remarkably enough, Davis and Crawford were only in their mid-50s when asked to play the trippy Hudson sisters."
Brooks also ponders a face-off between Bette Midler and Sigourney Weaver or Faye Dunaway vs. Shirley MacLaine. He even lists some admittedly silly possibilities, including the Olsen twins or a first on-screen teaming of one-time romantic rivals Jennifer Aniston and Angelina Jolie.
Who would you like to see portray these iconic characters? Watch the trailer for the 1962 film below.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 2 hours 50 min ago
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM