Ellen Page Stars in Real-life Lesbian Drama
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 22 2012 9:56 PM ET
Ellen Page will play a lesbian mechanic at the center of a real-life landmark LGBT equality case in a feature film adaptation of the Oscar-winning documentary Freeheld, reports Deadline.
Page will portray Stacie Andree, a New Jersey car mechanic who, with her girlfriend Laurel Hester, battled to secure the latter's pension benefits after Hester was diagnosed with a terminal illness. The film's screenplay is written by Ron Nyswaner, the Academy Award-nominated writer of Philadelphia, the 1994 drama which won Tom Hanks an Oscar as best actor.
The film is an adaptation of the 2007 film of the same name which chronicled the case and which won the Academy Award for best documentary short subject. Cynthia Wade, who direted the short, will serve as one of the feature film's producers. Page, an Oscar nominee herself for the 2007 comedy Juno, has been attached to the project since 2010.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Martina Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 7 min 57 sec ago
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 39 min 17 sec ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 2 hours 55 min ago
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 3:42 PM
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 3:30 PM
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 3:18 PM
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 3:02 PM