Ellen Page Stars in Real-life Lesbian Drama
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 22 2012 8:56 PM ET
Ellen Page will play a lesbian mechanic at the center of a real-life landmark LGBT equality case in a feature film adaptation of the Oscar-winning documentary Freeheld, reports Deadline.
Page will portray Stacie Andree, a New Jersey car mechanic who, with her girlfriend Laurel Hester, battled to secure the latter's pension benefits after Hester was diagnosed with a terminal illness. The film's screenplay is written by Ron Nyswaner, the Academy Award-nominated writer of Philadelphia, the 1994 drama which won Tom Hanks an Oscar as best actor.
The film is an adaptation of the 2007 film of the same name which chronicled the case and which won the Academy Award for best documentary short subject. Cynthia Wade, who direted the short, will serve as one of the feature film's producers. Page, an Oscar nominee herself for the 2007 comedy Juno, has been attached to the project since 2010.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 35 min 3 sec ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM