James Franco Gets Inspired by Cruising
BY Heath Daniels
August 22 2012 2:08 PM ET
This project came about really quickly. In July you posted on your website that you would be collaborating with James Franco on a “homo-sex-art-film.” James Franco’s Cruising is premiering in September. How did you crank this out so quickly?
I don’t think either of us has slept.
Where will the film premiere?
In New York during Fashion Week. A feature-length version will be playing festivals next year.
Your recent projects, In Their Room, I Want Your Love, and now James Franco’s Cruising, have all focused on gay men, naturalistic storytelling, and graphic scenes of sexuality. Are these themes that you will continue to explore?
I need to finish editing In Their Room-London. I would like to continue that series as long as I can. I want to go to some less obvious places where gayness and masculinity are different from what I regularly see and experience. But I think I’m almost done with graphic sexuality. I just don’t want to get bored or pigeonholed with it. There’s so much that can still be said with sex, but I don’t want to make a career of it.
You just directed a film with an Academy Award nominee. Is this your first step toward a more mainstream career?
God, I hope not.
- Backlash Continues: Angie's List Cancels Indiana Expansion
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- After Indiana, 23 More States Could Pass Discrimination Bills
- 6 Bad Behaviors for HIV-Positive People
- Is It Time for These Indiana Events to Relocate?
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'