James Franco Gets Inspired by Cruising
BY Heath Daniels
August 22 2012 2:08 PM ET
This project came about really quickly. In July you posted on your website that you would be collaborating with James Franco on a “homo-sex-art-film.” James Franco’s Cruising is premiering in September. How did you crank this out so quickly?
I don’t think either of us has slept.
Where will the film premiere?
In New York during Fashion Week. A feature-length version will be playing festivals next year.
Your recent projects, In Their Room, I Want Your Love, and now James Franco’s Cruising, have all focused on gay men, naturalistic storytelling, and graphic scenes of sexuality. Are these themes that you will continue to explore?
I need to finish editing In Their Room-London. I would like to continue that series as long as I can. I want to go to some less obvious places where gayness and masculinity are different from what I regularly see and experience. But I think I’m almost done with graphic sexuality. I just don’t want to get bored or pigeonholed with it. There’s so much that can still be said with sex, but I don’t want to make a career of it.
You just directed a film with an Academy Award nominee. Is this your first step toward a more mainstream career?
God, I hope not.
- 7 Brave Campuses for LGBT Students in the South
- Op-ed: In The Long Run, Michael Sam Being Cut Was About Homophobia
- Michael Sam Passed Over By Every NFL Team
- WATCH: Gay Teen Explains What Bible Really Says
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- WATCH: Which State's Marriage Equality Proposal Will Make SCOTUS Say 'I Do?'