Out of the Dark
BY Heath Daniels
September 06 2012 10:57 PM ET
There’s a scene in Keep the Lights On where Erik wins a Teddy Award for his documentary. Keep the Lights On won The Teddy Award for Best Feature Film in Berlin. How’s that for life imitating art!
The film was really well received there. It was nice to be in Berlin after Sundance because the film doesn’t seem racy or any way confrontational within the context of European cinema, particularly in Berlin. Berlin and Los Angeles have been two of the best screenings we’ve had.
Now that you’ve made the film and it’s been released theatrically do you feel healed from the relationship that influenced it?
I did my therapy earlier, to tell you the truth. I’ve been in recovery programs and various things. I wouldn’t have started making this film until I sensed that I had already worked through a lot of experiences of which it came. What has been cathartic has been the affirmation as a filmmaker; the importance of telling this kind of story and the need to do so. That has been life changing.
Watch the film's trailer below.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Karl Lagerfeld's Cat Has A Better Life Than You 20 min 52 sec ago
- Health News AIDS Deaths Plummet In Africa 23 min 48 sec ago
- Military PHOTOS: Shirtless, Sweaty Naval Academy Freshman Climb Greased Obelisk 34 min 16 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer and Amber Tamblyn Watch Porn and Make Out 46 min 54 sec ago
- Art When Shel Silverstein Covered Fire Island for Playboy 55 min 30 sec ago
- Entertainment News Filmmaker Needs Help to Penetrate the South 1 hour 37 min ago
- Commentary NYC Hate Crimes: Why I'm Afraid for First Time in My Life 1 hour 55 min ago