4 Fairy Tales With Gay Links
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
September 10 2012 6:08 PM ET
With the growing popularity of NBC's Grimm (in which lesbian actress Jennifer Lanier had a recurring role as a medical examiner) and, well, every other recent animated fairy tale remake, which has something special for LGBT viewers?
Snow White and the Huntsman
By now director Rupert Sanders is known more for diddling the talent than he is for helming the ambitious (albeit flawed) directorial debut Snow White and the Huntsman, but his darker reinterpretation of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs — out today on Blu-Ray and DVD — is worth a gander still for a couple of reasons. Namely: Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth. Already a gay fave from his turn as Thor in The Avengers, Hemsworth is the titular Huntsman who goes after and then eventually helps rescue Snow White, played by Kristen Stewart, who still seems sullen and prototypically queer even after having her (straight) romatic life covered in every tabloid. But it's Theron who makes the film worth the rental. The actress, who won an Academy Award and Golden Globe Award, for her role as lesbian serial killer Aileen Wuornos in the 2003 drama Monster, is no stranger to shapeshifting, in that film and others such as North Country and Æon Flux (she trained with Cirque du Soleil to help her play the bisexual assassin). As the Evil Queen in this Snow White, Theron is fierce and beautiful, and within her first few moments on-screen we see her literally murder to move up. Now that's girl power.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 19 min 53 sec ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 1 hour 30 min ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 1 hour 33 min ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 2 hours 18 min ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 2 hours 25 min ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 5:07 PM
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 4:50 PM