4 Fairy Tales With Gay Links
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
September 10 2012 5:08 PM ET
With the growing popularity of NBC's Grimm (in which lesbian actress Jennifer Lanier had a recurring role as a medical examiner) and, well, every other recent animated fairy tale remake, which has something special for LGBT viewers?
Snow White and the Huntsman
By now director Rupert Sanders is known more for diddling the talent than he is for helming the ambitious (albeit flawed) directorial debut Snow White and the Huntsman, but his darker reinterpretation of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs — out today on Blu-Ray and DVD — is worth a gander still for a couple of reasons. Namely: Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth. Already a gay fave from his turn as Thor in The Avengers, Hemsworth is the titular Huntsman who goes after and then eventually helps rescue Snow White, played by Kristen Stewart, who still seems sullen and prototypically queer even after having her (straight) romatic life covered in every tabloid. But it's Theron who makes the film worth the rental. The actress, who won an Academy Award and Golden Globe Award, for her role as lesbian serial killer Aileen Wuornos in the 2003 drama Monster, is no stranger to shapeshifting, in that film and others such as North Country and Æon Flux (she trained with Cirque du Soleil to help her play the bisexual assassin). As the Evil Queen in this Snow White, Theron is fierce and beautiful, and within her first few moments on-screen we see her literally murder to move up. Now that's girl power.
- Religion Meet the Controversial Spiritual Adviser to Trans People 1 hour 17 min ago
- Women 9 Inspiring Women Backing LGBT Rights Around The World 1 hour 39 min ago
- Marriage Equality Where Can You Get Married in Illinois? 1 hour 49 min ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Can I Get HIV if I’m a Top? 1 hour 57 min ago
- Media How to Get a Job With Nate Silver 9:25 AM
- Parenting What's in My Dad Bag? 7:00 AM
- Politics Timeline: When Executive Orders Came First? 6:00 AM