4 Fairy Tales With Gay Links
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
September 10 2012 6:08 PM ET
Set in Renaissance-era France, Ever After is bascially a post-feminist retelling of Cinderella with Drew Barrymore at the center. Barrymore's Cinderella (er, Danielle) is spunky and quick-witted, while Anjelica Huston plays the Baroness Rodmilla de Ghen (aka the evil stepmother) to the hilt. Even better: Melanie Lynskey, who played the murderous teen lesbian so briliantly in Heavenly Creatures, here inhabits one of the stepsisters, a kinder, gentler version who actually helps Danielle survive the indignities inflicted on her by the Baroness. Kathleen Marshall is developing a theatrical adaptation that will head to Broadway in 2013. You kow that one will be packed with gays — in the audience and the cast.
- Mean Girls Actor Daniel Franzese Comes Out
- Op-ed: I'm a Gay Guy at a Christian College
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Highlights 'Confusion' in U.S. on LGBT Issues
- WATCH: Navy Baseball Players Sing 'Brozen'
- WATCH: Picking Up Random Strangers Of The Same Sex
- WATCH: Cokie Roberts Stands Up to Antigay Religious Activists