4 Fairy Tales With Gay Links
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
September 10 2012 6:08 PM ET
Set in Renaissance-era France, Ever After is bascially a post-feminist retelling of Cinderella with Drew Barrymore at the center. Barrymore's Cinderella (er, Danielle) is spunky and quick-witted, while Anjelica Huston plays the Baroness Rodmilla de Ghen (aka the evil stepmother) to the hilt. Even better: Melanie Lynskey, who played the murderous teen lesbian so briliantly in Heavenly Creatures, here inhabits one of the stepsisters, a kinder, gentler version who actually helps Danielle survive the indignities inflicted on her by the Baroness. Kathleen Marshall is developing a theatrical adaptation that will head to Broadway in 2013. You kow that one will be packed with gays — in the audience and the cast.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: Dear Cardinal Raymond Burke, I Am Your Gay Blood
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- 10 Tips on Growing Older for LGBT People Under 40
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'