Philippines Chooses Indie Film of a 75-Year-Old Gay Man as Oscars Entry
BY Lauren Jow
September 21 2012 3:54 PM ET
Rene quietly ponders the solemn night, accompanied by crickets chirping and his dog’s eager barking.
Bitter and misanthropic, the 75-year-old curmudgeon lives alone with his dog Bwakaw, which means “voracious” or “greedy.” It’s been 15 years since he came out, and it seems he’s still waiting – for nothing in particular.
Directed by independent Filipino filmmaker Jun Robles Lana, Bwakaw follows Rene – played by popular Filipino actor Eddie Garcia – as he faces old age with no family and few friends.
The film, which opened across the country this month, is an unusual choice for the Philippines, where LGBT storylines don’t sell well, Robles Lana told the Wall Street Journal.
But Bwakaw has already been chosen to represent the Philippines as the best foreign-language submission for the Academy Awards. It screened in Toronto last week and will appear in New York and Hawaii next month.
The film pays tribute to Robles Lana’s real-life mentor Rene Villanueva, a playwright who came out as gay late in life and died in 2007. But Robles Lana wanted to balance out the film with lightness even while it ponders the weighty, timeworn theme of aging.
“I didn’t want the film to be bleak. I used humor to break the silences,” he said.
Meditating on fears of missed chances and growing old, a voiceover in the trailer urges: “Instead of waiting for your death, just do whatever makes you happy.”
Watch the trailer for Bwakaw below.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 18 min 8 sec ago
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM