Rebel Wilson: Big Fun
BY Jeremy Kinser
September 28 2012 8:00 AM ET
Have you ever you ever played a lesbian character?
Yeah, in A Few Best Men I play a lesbian character. I played the lesbian sister of the bride who ends up kissing a dude at the end, but she was like a full-on lesbian in that. And I beat out famous Australian lesbians for the role.
I’ve had that soundtrack for months. When will the film be released in the states?
I didn’t know, because it’s been released in like every other country. Last month it was in the U.K., and it came out in Australia in January because it’s got Olivia Newton-John — my favorite.
What was it like working with her and director Stephan Elliott?
It was great. She and Stephan, who’s like a good friend of mine because he did Priscilla: Queen of the Desert, which is like all-time Australian classic, and it’s like the best movie ever. I just love it. As a kid seeing that kinda made me think, Oh, Australians can be funny and do good movies. Matt’s actually good friends with Guy Pearce, who’s one of the stars of that movie. But Olivia! Grease is one of my favorite movies, and so I would just ask her to sing Grease all the time and she would. This is the thing — she would! [Sings “You better shape up”] And we’d do Grease mega-mixes at lunch, and you think, How weird is this? I’m with the actual Sandy doing Grease songs with her. She’s so nice in that way because she knew I loved it, and so she’d be like, “OK, let’s sing a song,” and someone would get on the piano because the hotel we were staying at had a piano, and we would just sing some Grease mega-mixes.
That's an amazing story. Was that the first time you played a lesbian?
I’m trying to think of others. Oh, yeah, I did a play called No Exit, which is a famous Jean-Paul Sartre play. I played the main character, who is a lesbian. But back when I did that play I was really young. I was like 16, and it was really controversial because I had to kiss the other girl in the play, and it was in the round so the audience was so close to us, and the audience members started freaking out. There were other teenage girls in the audience because you could tell what was going to happen, and then people were sitting so close to us they were freaking out about it. I thought it was hilarious.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 5 min 26 sec ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 45 min 47 sec ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM