Rebel Wilson: Big Fun
BY Jeremy Kinser
September 28 2012 7:00 AM ET
Have you ever you ever played a lesbian character?
Yeah, in A Few Best Men I play a lesbian character. I played the lesbian sister of the bride who ends up kissing a dude at the end, but she was like a full-on lesbian in that. And I beat out famous Australian lesbians for the role.
I’ve had that soundtrack for months. When will the film be released in the states?
I didn’t know, because it’s been released in like every other country. Last month it was in the U.K., and it came out in Australia in January because it’s got Olivia Newton-John — my favorite.
What was it like working with her and director Stephan Elliott?
It was great. She and Stephan, who’s like a good friend of mine because he did Priscilla: Queen of the Desert, which is like all-time Australian classic, and it’s like the best movie ever. I just love it. As a kid seeing that kinda made me think, Oh, Australians can be funny and do good movies. Matt’s actually good friends with Guy Pearce, who’s one of the stars of that movie. But Olivia! Grease is one of my favorite movies, and so I would just ask her to sing Grease all the time and she would. This is the thing — she would! [Sings “You better shape up”] And we’d do Grease mega-mixes at lunch, and you think, How weird is this? I’m with the actual Sandy doing Grease songs with her. She’s so nice in that way because she knew I loved it, and so she’d be like, “OK, let’s sing a song,” and someone would get on the piano because the hotel we were staying at had a piano, and we would just sing some Grease mega-mixes.
That's an amazing story. Was that the first time you played a lesbian?
I’m trying to think of others. Oh, yeah, I did a play called No Exit, which is a famous Jean-Paul Sartre play. I played the main character, who is a lesbian. But back when I did that play I was really young. I was like 16, and it was really controversial because I had to kiss the other girl in the play, and it was in the round so the audience was so close to us, and the audience members started freaking out. There were other teenage girls in the audience because you could tell what was going to happen, and then people were sitting so close to us they were freaking out about it. I thought it was hilarious.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM