Twitter Asks: MTV, Why the [Bleep] Did You Censor 'Mean Girls'?
Delighted Mean Girls fans rushed to their TVs and Twitter when MTV screened the modern cult classic Tuesday night, transforming the Twittersphere into one gigantic high school inside-joke fest.
But fans ran into some trouble soaking up the movie’s awesomeness when they noticed that a few key words were missing from their favorite lines, BuzzFeed reports.
The network censored words such as “gay,” “homosexual,” “dyke,” “vagina” and “retarded” from punch lines, while leaving in others that prompted viewers to question the editorial decisions.
— Jaime LC (@jimmyeatworms) September 26, 2012
Why does MTV bleep out "gay" but not "lesbian" in Mean Girls?
— Michelle Salvatore (@ShellySalv) September 26, 2012
Here's a list of the original lines and Twitter reactions from Mean Girls devotees outraged at the movie ruiner that ruined people’s favorite movie.
1. "And on the third day, God created the Remington bolt-action rifle, so that Man could fight the dinosaurs. And the homosexuals."
WHAT?! MTV bleeps out "homosexuals"?? That's one of the best lines in the movie!! #MeanGirls
— Shannon Bitzan (@nonnahSNicole) September 26, 2012
2. “This is Damien, he’s almost too gay to function.”
Damien is too ___ to function?!?! Wtf mtv? Can't even say gay to refer to a gay guy? #meangirls
— Philip Amberg (@ninjawithguitar) September 26, 2012
3. “I know she’s kind of socially retarded and weird, but she’s my friend. … So, just promise me you won’t make fun of her.”
Interesting. Mean Girls is on MTV and they censored the "R word." I know it's very discouraged, but didn't realize it was a no-go on TV now.
— Jason Bowman (@JasonABowman) September 26, 2012
4. “Wow, Damien, you’ve truly out-gayed yourself.”
— A (@netttycampbell) September 26, 2012
5. “Janis Ian – dyke”
— Heaven Brosnan ☮ (@_cloudheaven) September 26, 2012
6. “But I can’t help it if I’ve got a heavy flow and a wide set vagina!”
— Becky Morsch (@Becky_Jeanne) September 26, 2012