Twitter Asks: MTV, Why the [Bleep] Did You Censor 'Mean Girls'?
BY Lauren Jow
September 28 2012 2:31 PM ET
Delighted Mean Girls fans rushed to their TVs and Twitter when MTV screened the modern cult classic Tuesday night, transforming the Twittersphere into one gigantic high school inside-joke fest.
But fans ran into some trouble soaking up the movie’s awesomeness when they noticed that a few key words were missing from their favorite lines, BuzzFeed reports.
The network censored words such as “gay,” “homosexual,” “dyke,” “vagina” and “retarded” from punch lines, while leaving in others that prompted viewers to question the editorial decisions.
— Jaime LC (@jimmyeatworms) September 26, 2012
Why does MTV bleep out "gay" but not "lesbian" in Mean Girls?
— Michelle Salvatore (@ShellySalv) September 26, 2012
Here's a list of the original lines and Twitter reactions from Mean Girls devotees outraged at the movie ruiner that ruined people’s favorite movie.
1. "And on the third day, God created the Remington bolt-action rifle, so that Man could fight the dinosaurs. And the homosexuals."
WHAT?! MTV bleeps out "homosexuals"?? That's one of the best lines in the movie!! #MeanGirls
— Shannon Bitzan (@nonnahSNicole) September 26, 2012
2. “This is Damien, he’s almost too gay to function.”
Damien is too ___ to function?!?! Wtf mtv? Can't even say gay to refer to a gay guy? #meangirls
— Philip Amberg (@ninjawithguitar) September 26, 2012
3. “I know she’s kind of socially retarded and weird, but she’s my friend. … So, just promise me you won’t make fun of her.”
Interesting. Mean Girls is on MTV and they censored the "R word." I know it's very discouraged, but didn't realize it was a no-go on TV now.
— Jason Bowman (@JasonABowman) September 26, 2012
4. “Wow, Damien, you’ve truly out-gayed yourself.”
— A (@netttycampbell) September 26, 2012
5. “Janis Ian – dyke”
— Heaven Brosnan ☮ (@_cloudheaven) September 26, 2012
6. “But I can’t help it if I’ve got a heavy flow and a wide set vagina!”
— Becky Morsch (@Becky_Jeanne) September 26, 2012
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- Seat Filler: Best New York Theater of 2013
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists: 'We Have to Stay and Fight' December 20 2013 8:57 PM
- Marriage Equality Photo from Utah: First Gay Couple Married December 20 2013 7:40 PM
- Women LISTEN: Out Folk Duo Hannah & Maggie's Lesbian Love Letter to Mrs. Claus December 20 2013 6:46 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert December 20 2013 4:55 PM
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt December 20 2013 4:48 PM
- Entertainment News Make These Golden Girls Legos Happen! December 20 2013 4:44 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Small Hotel or Resort December 20 2013 4:34 PM