Gay German Film Opens MoMA's Kino! Exhibition
BY Clea Kim
April 16 2013 6:00 AM ET
New York City's Museum of Modern Art is set to launch its its 35th annual Kino! exhibition Thursday, spotlighting young German filmmakers. And this year, the exhibition's opening film is about a gay man, titled Freier Fall (translation: Free Fall), directed by Stephen Lacant.
Freier Fall is about police officer Marc, who meets a new man on the force, Kay, on a training course. As they get together to jog, Marc begins to develop feelings for Kay — feelings he has never experienced before. But Marc is with his pregnant girlfriend, Bettina, whom he loves, but is torn because of his deep feelings for Kay. As they begin an affair, Marc begins to realize that his life is spiraling out of control and he can’t make everyone happy, including himself. This is a powerful and dramatic story of a man who thinks his life is on track, but then finds himself in a freefall when his life suddenly takes an unexpected turn.
The film, which debuts at MoMA this Thursday, is one of the selected films from the Berlin International Film Festival. The series of films chosen for the exhibition features popular narrative, documentary and modern works that display Germany’s cinematic talent. The national information and advisory center for the promotion of German films worldwide, German Films, will be showing six films at Kino!
German Films continues to supply the latest German cinema to Kino! which is organized by Rajendra Roy, the Celeste Bartos Chief Curator of Film, and the Museum of Modern Art, with Nicole Kaufmann, project coordinator, German Films Service and Marketing (Munich), and its New York representative, Oliver Mahrdt.
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 49 min 38 sec ago
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM