Gay German Film Opens MoMA's Kino! Exhibition
BY Clea Kim
April 16 2013 5:00 AM ET
New York City's Museum of Modern Art is set to launch its its 35th annual Kino! exhibition Thursday, spotlighting young German filmmakers. And this year, the exhibition's opening film is about a gay man, titled Freier Fall (translation: Free Fall), directed by Stephen Lacant.
Freier Fall is about police officer Marc, who meets a new man on the force, Kay, on a training course. As they get together to jog, Marc begins to develop feelings for Kay — feelings he has never experienced before. But Marc is with his pregnant girlfriend, Bettina, whom he loves, but is torn because of his deep feelings for Kay. As they begin an affair, Marc begins to realize that his life is spiraling out of control and he can’t make everyone happy, including himself. This is a powerful and dramatic story of a man who thinks his life is on track, but then finds himself in a freefall when his life suddenly takes an unexpected turn.
The film, which debuts at MoMA this Thursday, is one of the selected films from the Berlin International Film Festival. The series of films chosen for the exhibition features popular narrative, documentary and modern works that display Germany’s cinematic talent. The national information and advisory center for the promotion of German films worldwide, German Films, will be showing six films at Kino!
German Films continues to supply the latest German cinema to Kino! which is organized by Rajendra Roy, the Celeste Bartos Chief Curator of Film, and the Museum of Modern Art, with Nicole Kaufmann, project coordinator, German Films Service and Marketing (Munich), and its New York representative, Oliver Mahrdt.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM