Meron, Zadan Will Return to Produce Next Academy Awards
BY Neal Broverman
April 18 2013 1:05 PM ET
Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, the gay producing pair behind the movie musicals Chicago and Hairspray, were rehired to produce the next Academy Awards, to air March 2, 2014.
Zadan and Meron's Oscar show from February drew about 40.3 million viewers, the most since 2010. The pair also helped bring in a younger audience — Zadan and Meron hired Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane to host the show, though his performance received mixed-to-negative reviews. The producers also introduced an homage to Bond films and a medley of modern film musicals.
The decision to rehire Zadan and Meron was made by outgoing Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences president Hawk Koch, who told the Los Angeles Times that "continuity" is the most important aspect for the Oscars. The Academy Awards has cycled through numerous producers and hosts in the last few years.
- Year in Review Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013 5:30 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 12 Excellent Gifts for Those Who Indulge 4:19 AM
- Women WATCH: Gaga & Xtina's Amazing '70s-era Lesbian Duet of "Do What U Want!" 2:04 AM
- Marriage Equality NOH8 Founders Adam Bouska & Jeff Parshley on Campaign's 5th Anniversary December 17 2013 9:23 PM
- Travel What's Hot in England for 2014 December 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Women WATCH: Adorable Lesbian Takes on How to Practice the Smells and Sounds of Sex! December 17 2013 8:10 PM
- Politics Obama, Biden Won't Be at Olympics December 17 2013 6:34 PM