Meron, Zadan Will Return to Produce Next Academy Awards
BY Neal Broverman
April 18 2013 1:05 PM ET
Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, the gay producing pair behind the movie musicals Chicago and Hairspray, were rehired to produce the next Academy Awards, to air March 2, 2014.
Zadan and Meron's Oscar show from February drew about 40.3 million viewers, the most since 2010. The pair also helped bring in a younger audience — Zadan and Meron hired Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane to host the show, though his performance received mixed-to-negative reviews. The producers also introduced an homage to Bond films and a medley of modern film musicals.
The decision to rehire Zadan and Meron was made by outgoing Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences president Hawk Koch, who told the Los Angeles Times that "continuity" is the most important aspect for the Oscars. The Academy Awards has cycled through numerous producers and hosts in the last few years.
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM