9 Great New Scary Movies With LGBT Themes
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
April 25 2013 2:20 PM ET UPDATED: April 26 2013 1:17 PM ET
John Dies at the End
Now on Blu-ray, DVD, VOD, and download, John Dies at the End is a rare smart horror movie that uses cerebral scariness instead of naked co-eds getting slashed. In fact, there are so many cute guys (and Paul Giamatti, who is also executive producer) at the center of this trans-genre horror flick based on David Wong’s audacious book that you might not even notice the film even has women in it. Written and directed by cult legend Don Coscarelli (who geeks love because he made the Bruce Campbell-starrer Bubba Ho-Tep), John Dies centers around the Soy Sauce, a drug that promises an out-of-body experience with each hit and sends users adrift across time and space. But not everything that comes back is alive. Or human. Or safe. So with an otherworld invasion afoot, humanity needs a hero. What it gets instead is Rob Mayes and Chase Williamson as John and David, symbiotic college dropouts who can’t even hold down jobs but are nevertheless damn cute to watch saving the world in this supernatural action horror comedy. Bonus: The discs include deleted scenes, a monster design featurette, Fangoria interviews with Coascarelli and Giamatti, and more.
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- Op-ed: I Met My Best Friend on Grindr
- WATCH: The Weirdest Antigay Marriage Arguments Before the Supreme Court
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Op-ed: New Jersey's Most Antigay Teacher Shouldn't Have Her Job
- Prominent Queer Korean, Chicana Leader Killed in Her Atlanta Home