Where to Find Great Gay Action
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
April 26 2013 7:25 PM ET UPDATED: April 30 2013 9:08 PM ET
Celebrating 15 years of LGBT film, the Miami Gay and Lesbian Film Festival is taking place in Miami and Miami Beach from now to May 5, with actor-author-director James Franco accepting the HBO Latin America Ally Award for his career accomplishments and his unwavering support of the LGBT community. (The Ally Award presentation will take place Saturday at the Olympia Theater at Gusman Center in downtown Miami.)
“We are thrilled to host an actor of James Franco’s caliber at the Miami Gay and Lesbian Film Festival,” said Franc Castro, executive director of the fest. “His multi-faceted talents coupled with his contributions to LGBT film both in front of the camera and behind the scenes have helped shine the spotlight on LGBT cinema and a filmmaker’s right to free expression.”
Franco’s latest film, Interior. Leather Bar., makes its Southeast premiere at the festival Sunday at 8:30 p.m. at the Colony Theatre in Miami Beach. Here are a few more films you shouldn't miss.
- Op-ed: Gay Nightlife Is Dead — Long Live Gay Nightlife
- Op-ed: Rethinking the Shame Game Against Homophobes
- WATCH: Sprint Sends Customer Email to 'Gay Sissyboy'
- Op-ed: I'm a Gay Guy at a Christian College
- RuPaul's Drag Race, Logo TV Apologize for Transphobic Slur
- Diego Tolomelli and the Stain of Original Sin