The Advocate's 18 Favorite Films at Outfest 2013
BY Daniel Reynolds Sunnivie Brydum and Diane Anderson-Minshall
July 11 2013 4:00 AM ET
Who’s Afraid of Vagina Wolf?
Friday, July 19, 7:15 p.m. at DGA 1
This hilarious all-female comedy stars Anna Margarita Albelo, who also directed the film, as a perpetually stuck middle-aged lesbian living in Los Angeles. Staring down the barrel of 40 years on this earth, Anna has no job, no girlfriend, and lives in a friend’s garage. Searching for meaning — and something to occupy her time — the eccentric filmmaker begins writing a lesbian remake of Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf. That’s when she meets Katia (played by True Blood and The L Word actress Janina Gavankar), who serves as Anna’s muse and leads the forlorn filmmaker on a journey of self-discovery, redemption, and creation. Keep an eye out for fellow queer favorite actors Guinevere Turner (Go Fish) and Carrie Preston (True Blood, The Good Wife).
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- 'God's Not Afraid of New Things,' Pope Tells Antigay Bishops
- Amid Marriage Victories, Antigay Lawyer Grows Increasingly Desparate
- Artist Spotlight: Boots Bryant
- Working with Laverne Cox, Standing in Solidarity with Trans Women of Color
- Gay Comedy - Viral Videos, Political Humor, LGBT Comics