The Advocate's 18 Favorite Films at Outfest 2013
BY Daniel Reynolds Sunnivie Brydum and Diane Anderson-Minshall
July 11 2013 4:00 AM ET
In the Name Of…
Wednesday, July 17, 9:45 p.m. at DGA 1
Saturday, July 20, 7pm at REDCAT Theater
Father Adam (Andrez Chyra) has recently moved to a small village from Warsaw, Poland, to found a center for boys. They are, for the most part, a rowdy but innocent lot, whose confessions to their new priest generally consist of smoking pot and drinking beer in their off-hours. But one confession, followed by a nighttime tryst between two of his charges, leads to the death of one of the boys. And the locals, who were initially enamored of their handsome new priest, begin to question the circumstances surrounding Adam’s transfer from the city to their small town. The 2013 Teddy Award-winner of Best Feature Film at the 63rd Berlin International Film Festival, In the Name Of… is a drama that is both politically and sexually charged, probing corruption in the Catholic Church as well as the often tempestuous collision of faith and love.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island
- Ethics Complaint Filed Against Texas AG Over Stance on Marriage Licenses
- Why Does Vogue Think Bisexuality Is a Phase?
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Kentucky County Clerk Sued Over Denial of Marriage Licenses