The Advocate's 18 Favorite Films at Outfest 2013
BY Daniel Reynolds Sunnivie Brydum and Diane Anderson-Minshall
July 11 2013 3:00 AM ET
Sunday, July 21, 8 p.m. at Ford
For popular teenagers Fawcett (Sasha Pieterse), Caprice (Xosha Roquemore) and ‘Shley (Andrea Bowen), this season’s must-have accessory — and golden ticket to being Prom Queen — is a G.B.F., or a gay best friend. The only problem? There are no gay men at their school — who are out, at least. But a Grindr-like app allows the girls to identify the closeted Tanner (Michael J. Willett) and adopt him as their own, transforming him from a shy social outcast to the high school’s hottest commodity. But not everyone is pleased with Tanner’s sudden rise to stardom. Mormon extremists and homophobic ex-boyfriends lurk around every corner, not to mention Tanner’s old friend Brent, whose jealousy of and attraction to Tanner is a zesty recipe for drama. Megan Mullally offers a hilarious performance as Brent’s eager-to-please and overprotective mother. Directed by Darren Stein of Jawbreakerfame, G.B.F. is a fun and frothy romp through high school with nods to Pygmalion, Mean Girls, Glee, and John Hughes.
See the full schedule of films screening at Outfest 2013 here.
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 2 hours 38 min ago
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 6:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 5:00 AM
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM