The Advocate's 18 Favorite Films at Outfest 2013
BY Daniel Reynolds Sunnivie Brydum and Diane Anderson-Minshall
July 11 2013 3:00 AM ET
TransVisible: Bamby Salcedo's Story
Sunday, July 14, 6:30 p.m. at REDCAT Theater
Outfest marks the world premiere Dante Alencastre’s documentary about the life of renowned Los Angeles-based trans Latina activist and leader, Bamby Salcedo, following her personal challenges to a transformative rise to prominence in the local trans community. Salcedo’s personal story shares the narrative of many trans immigrant women of color — who find themselves trapped by drugs, prison, sex work, and more —but more interesting is how she’s moved through loss and become a resilient advocate for social justice in multiple, overlapping communities her life has touched, including HIV-positive people, Latina, youth, and LGBT communities.
Salcedo is currently at the helm of the nation’s largest transgender youth program at the Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. TransVisible follows Salcedo’s creation of the life-saving Angels of Change program for trans youth, and her feminist advocacy for the Translatina Coalition. And though we still see the effects of the haunting loss of former partners to drugs or discrimination when Salcedo speaks, it’s clear that she’s a woman who has come into her own in mid-life, rising to greater heights than many in the same stead, and who seems both lovable and unstoppable. That makes TransVisiblea heartwarming and human story — a rarity in a media that still portrays trans women as freaks. After the film there will be a Q&A panel with Alencastre and Saldedo, followed by a reception.
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon Like This 1 min 55 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor 6 min 9 sec ago
- Television WATCH: The Super Trailer for RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6 55 min 49 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Brazilian Couples Get Married En Masse 2 hours 4 min ago
- Entertainment News Musto: Tom Daley & Maria Bello Are Bi, Get Used To It 10:00 AM
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 7:00 AM
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 6:00 AM