Orson Scott Card Won't Profit from 'Ender's Game' Movie Ticket Sales
BY Jase Peeples
October 31 2013 4:02 PM ET
Homophobic author Orson Scott Card won’t be lining his pockets with profits from the box office haul of Ender’s Game, reports The Wrap.
The film adaptation of Card’s best-selling sci-fi novel has been mired in a storm of controversy leading up to its Friday release due to the author’s outspoken antigay views — which included calling for the criminalization of homosexuality and referring to LGBT rights as a “collective delusion.” Several pro-LGBT groups have joined a growing movement to boycott the film, including Geeks Out, which has set up a series of “Skip Ender’s Game” events in San Francisco, New York, Seattle, Chicago, and other cities throughout the U.S. and Canada.
However, rumors that Card will not be making any money from the film adaption were confirmed earlier this week. Any profit Card earned was reportedly already paid through a deal which was made over a decade ago, and though he is credited as a producer on the film, he has had no input on its development.
Nevertheless, the movie’s marketing push has propelled the Ender’s Game novel, from which Card continues to profit, to the top spot of the New York Times Best Seller List — leading many of those who have been championing a boycott of the films to press forward.
“If it turns out that the LGBT community’s refusal to see Ender’s Game carries more of a symbolic rejection of Card and his rhetoric than a financial one, I think that’s still a powerful message to content providers,” Geeks Out board member Jono Jarrett told The Wrap. “I really feel like staying the course for Skip Ender’s Game, certainly through our events on Friday … it’s about how we as a community respond to the situation.”
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: Anti-Marriage Equality Arguments Are Only Getting Dumber
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM