Upcoming Film Follows as Disabled, HIV-Positive Man Takes First Steps For AIDS Walk
BY Nicholas Cimarusti
November 02 2013 4:11 AM ET
Walk On documents Joseph Kibler, a physically disabled 21-year-man who old born HIV-positive, who is determined to participate in the Los Angeles AIDS Walk. But first he had to learn to walk. Despite medical forecasts, Kibler has gone from wheelchair to walker, walker to crutches, and at the age of 18 he took his first steps with a cane. Just two years, after extensive training, he participated in the 6.2 miles in the AIDS Walk and director Mark Bashian was there along the way.
Now the film about his journey premiers in Los Angeles on Sunday, November 10 at 4:30 p.m. at The El Portal Theater as part of the 2013 All Sports Film Festival. In the doc, Kibler's journey includes help from a Paralympic amputee sprinter, a quadriplegic comedian, and a disabled Purple Heart veteran, who appear along with actors Alfred Molina and Regina Hall. Kibler educated others about living with HIV and physical disability as he trained for the walk, which was a lifelong goal for him. The path to participating in the walk is not easy, but Kibler's dedication never falters.
After Los Angeles, Walk On heads to Birmingham, Michigan November 9-11. For future screenings check WalkOnDocumentary.org.
Tickets for the All Sports showing are $10 and can be bought at AllSportTix.com.
Watch the trailer below:
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- Pope Removes Hard-Line Marriage Equality Opponent From Vatican Panel
- WATCH: Gay Military Couple Share 'A Story About Love'
- Women Kim Basinger is Sleek and Sexy in Pin-Striped Men's Suit December 18 2013 9:50 PM
- Women Op-ed: The Right's War on Christmas - The 2013 Edition! December 18 2013 9:06 PM
- Entertainment News Ian McKellen Surprised Hobbit Fans At Desolation of Smaug Screening December 18 2013 7:07 PM
- Travel Sia Wants You to Help the Street Animals of India December 18 2013 5:23 PM
- Media BBC to Air Buffy The Vampire Slayer Retrospective December 18 2013 4:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Julia Roberts Is the Caboose in an Ellen DeGeneres Conga Line! December 18 2013 4:49 PM
- Sports Chicago Gay Hockey Association Wins at Celebrating Christmas December 18 2013 4:19 PM