WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
BY Patrick Yacco
December 11 2013 3:41 PM ET
Warner Bros. has released the trailer for Andy and Lana Wachowski's upcoming science fiction epic, Jupiter Ascending, reports Hero Complex. The film stars Mila Kunis as Jupiter Jones, an earth woman who may or may not be the "Queen of the Universe," and Channing Tatum as Kaine, a man sent from space to protect her. The movie also features appearances by Game of Thrones' Sean Bean and Les Miserables' Eddie Redmayne.
The trailer reflects the directors' taste for ambitious storytelling painted on a vibrant, larger-than-life canvas. Their previous release, Cloud Atlas, followed Tom Hanks and Halle Berry through time and space, with both actors portraying a variety of characters. The directing duo came to prominence with 1999's The Matrix, and Jupiter Ascending seems to harken back to their action-adventure roots.
The film is scheduled for release July 25 and faces an already crowded marketplace, with competition from X-Men: Days of Future Past, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Godzilla, and other entries in well-known franchises. In spite of this, the trailer proudly announces Real 3D and IMAX screenings. Word of mouth helped make Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity a must-see on the largest screen possible, and if fans react in a similar fashion to Jupiter Ascending, the film may be one of next year's biggest hits.
Lana Wachowski, who came out as transgender in 2012, received he Human Rights Campaign's Visibility Award that year.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Rep. Steve King Wants Congress to Denounce Supreme Court's Marriage Equality Ruling
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- Hillary Clinton's Kind Words to Gay Kid 'Afraid' for His Future
- President Obama Has Not Called for LGBT National Holiday
- Meet the First Trans Pastor Officially Ordained by the Evangelical Lutheran Church