Gay-Friendly Teen Comedy Pitch Perfect Gets Sequel
BY Patrick Yacco
January 28 2014 1:06 PM ET
Stepping away from her usual role as an actress and producer, Elizabeth Banks is set to direct the sequel to 2012’s hit teen musical comedy Pitch Perfect, reports TheMarySue.com.
Known mostly for her performances in movies such as The 40-Year-Old Virgin and the Hunger Games franchise, Pitch Perfect 2 marks Banks's debut as a director.
Pitch Perfect was set in the world of competitive college a cappella groups and included breakout performances from Anna Kendrick and Rebel Wilson. Banks portrayed a commentator of the finals competitions. The film would go on to gross over $100 million at the box office and produce a platinum-certified soundtrack.
In addition to offering a female-centric cast and plot, Pitch Perfect was the directorial debut of out filmmaker Jason Moore. The film also included a lesbian character and quickly became a hit with LGBT audiences. While few details beyond Banks's involvement have been announced, the sequel is expected to be as queer-friendly as the original.
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out 2 hours 10 min ago
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM