Gay-Friendly Teen Comedy Pitch Perfect Gets Sequel
BY Patrick Yacco
January 28 2014 1:06 PM ET
Stepping away from her usual role as an actress and producer, Elizabeth Banks is set to direct the sequel to 2012’s hit teen musical comedy Pitch Perfect, reports TheMarySue.com.
Known mostly for her performances in movies such as The 40-Year-Old Virgin and the Hunger Games franchise, Pitch Perfect 2 marks Banks's debut as a director.
Pitch Perfect was set in the world of competitive college a cappella groups and included breakout performances from Anna Kendrick and Rebel Wilson. Banks portrayed a commentator of the finals competitions. The film would go on to gross over $100 million at the box office and produce a platinum-certified soundtrack.
In addition to offering a female-centric cast and plot, Pitch Perfect was the directorial debut of out filmmaker Jason Moore. The film also included a lesbian character and quickly became a hit with LGBT audiences. While few details beyond Banks's involvement have been announced, the sequel is expected to be as queer-friendly as the original.
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 28 min 58 sec ago
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 35 min 19 sec ago
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 38 min 50 sec ago
- Books Lambda Literary Awards: Leavitt, Bianchi, Winterson Nominated 46 min 53 sec ago
- Women 19 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Saskia de Brauw 1 hour 3 min ago
- Television Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower 1 hour 4 min ago
- Travel WATCH: Jeff Koons, John Waters Discuss Art 1 hour 17 min ago