True Blood's Alexander Skarsgard to Star in Tarzan Film
BY Patrick Yacco
February 14 2014 2:00 PM ET
Alexander Skarsgard has made a name for himself as True Blood’s sexy Eric Northman, and soon he’ll be gracing the big screen as the literary hero Tarzan, reports The Wrap. The new film adaptation will also star Samuel L. Jackson and The Wolf of Wall Street’s Margot Robbie and will be directed by David Yates, who shot the last four Harry Potter installments. The film is expected to open in theaters July 1, 2016.
The first Tarzan novel appeared a century ago, and it’s safe to assume that most people are familiar of the story of the man raised by apes. But with scores of previous film adaptations, will filmgoers make it to theaters for this one? The studio sure hopes so. Sue Kroll, Warner Bros.’s president of worldwide marketing and distribution, said these "adventures of a man who was torn between two worlds has entertained and intrigued people young and old, and we are excited to bring him to the screen for a new generation."
Let’s hope that this film does better than the last Edgar Rice Burroughs adaptation: Disney’s John Carter grossed less than $75 million at U.S. box offices, making it one of the biggest flops in recent memory.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- 19 Shows LGBT Viewers Can't Miss This Fall
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- Catholic Clergy Demand That Gay Couple Divorce
- WATCH: Ellen Does Pot Brownies With Matthew McConaughey
- WATCH: Gay Inaugural Poet's Marriage Equality Tribute Will Give You Goosebumps