WATCH: Chris Pratt Nearly Naked in Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer
BY Patrick Yacco
February 18 2014 6:37 PM ET
Today Marvel Studios released a 15-second video teaser for its upcoming film Guardians of the Galaxy. A full trailer is scheduled to be released during tonight's episode of Jimmy Kimmel Live. The clip is the first look at a number of characters, including Star Lord (Chris Pratt), Gamora (Zoe Saldana), Groot (voiced by Vin Diesel), and Korath (Djimon Hounsou). If none of these names sound familiar, don't worry. Although the Guardians have been around in one form or another for the past 45 years, they are one of Marvel Comics' underused properties and considered to have more of a cult following, especially in comparison to the top-tier heroes featured in The Avengers.
Guardians is actor Chris Pratt's first live-action leading role, following his turn as the voice of Emmet in The Lego Movie. Last summer the Parks and Recreation star shared photos of his newly muscular body, developed in preparation for this film. Pratt is matched with athletic costars including wrestler Dave Bautista, who portrays Drax the Destroyer and, if the comics are any indication, will appear shirtless through much of the film.
Several Guardians stars have either publicly said they're not straight or come out in support of the LGBT people. Pratt has joked that he'd have sex with both Rob Lowe and Brad Pitt. In interviews last May, Zoe Saldana raised the possibility of raising children with another woman, but rejected labels such as "lesbian" or "bisexual." Benicio del Toro (whose role of the Collector is described as "an outer-space Liberace") has been a presenter at the GLAAD Media Awards.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM