4 LGBT-Focused Oscar Acceptance Speeches
BY Kevin OKeeffe
February 27 2014 7:00 AM ET
Sean Penn, Milk, Best Actor (2008)
“You commie, homo-loving sons of guns,” Penn began as he accepted his second Best Actor Oscar in a speech far more memorable than his first. Penn was damning of Proposition 8 supporters — “I think that it is a good time for those who voted for the ban against gay marriage to sit, and reflect, and anticipate their great shame, and the shame in their grandchildren's eyes if they continue that way of support,” he warned. He added simply, "We've got to have equal rights for everyone.” Penn’s speech was strangely touching in its aggressiveness, and it wasn’t the only win for the Harvey Milk biopic that night.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'