4 LGBT-Focused Oscar Acceptance Speeches
BY Kevin OKeeffe
February 27 2014 7:00 AM ET
Sean Penn, Milk, Best Actor (2008)
“You commie, homo-loving sons of guns,” Penn began as he accepted his second Best Actor Oscar in a speech far more memorable than his first. Penn was damning of Proposition 8 supporters — “I think that it is a good time for those who voted for the ban against gay marriage to sit, and reflect, and anticipate their great shame, and the shame in their grandchildren's eyes if they continue that way of support,” he warned. He added simply, "We've got to have equal rights for everyone.” Penn’s speech was strangely touching in its aggressiveness, and it wasn’t the only win for the Harvey Milk biopic that night.
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- More Events Cancel Over Gay Hotel Owner's Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Op-ed: The White Party and Gay Culture Need More Color