4 LGBT-Focused Oscar Acceptance Speeches
BY Kevin OKeeffe
February 27 2014 7:00 AM ET
Sean Penn, Milk, Best Actor (2008)
“You commie, homo-loving sons of guns,” Penn began as he accepted his second Best Actor Oscar in a speech far more memorable than his first. Penn was damning of Proposition 8 supporters — “I think that it is a good time for those who voted for the ban against gay marriage to sit, and reflect, and anticipate their great shame, and the shame in their grandchildren's eyes if they continue that way of support,” he warned. He added simply, "We've got to have equal rights for everyone.” Penn’s speech was strangely touching in its aggressiveness, and it wasn’t the only win for the Harvey Milk biopic that night.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- WATCH: In Pat Robertson's Latest Diatribe, Gays Are 'Terrorists'
- Idaho Gov. Begs Court to Reverse 'Bad Law' of Marriage Equality
- That's Amoré! 11 Irresistible Images of What Happened When Rome Recognized Same-Sex Marriages
- Have We Got Matthew Shepard All Wrong?