Which LGBT Icon Deserves a Biopic?
BY Daniel Reynolds
July 09 2014 8:30 AM ET
Bayard Rustin, played by Dwight Ewell
“I would love to make a movie about Bayard Rustin, who helped Martin Luther-King embrace nonviolence and was set to be one the leading lights of the civil rights movement, until his homosexuality made him ‘too risky’ a figurehead. I would love to play him myself, but Dwight Ewell from Stonewall, Chasing Amy, and Punks would probably be better.”
— Rikki Beadle-Blair is proud to have directed and/or written many gay features including Stonewall, Blackbird, Fit, Bashment, and KickOff. He is the winner of two Outfest awards, and his new film, Free, is playing in the festival this year.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Smacks Down States Resisting Marriage Equality
- Kentucky County Clerk Sued Over Denial of Marriage Licenses
- The Marriage Equality Photo Seen Round the World