Which LGBT Icon Deserves a Biopic?
BY Daniel Reynolds
July 09 2014 8:30 AM ET
Bayard Rustin, played by Dwight Ewell
“I would love to make a movie about Bayard Rustin, who helped Martin Luther-King embrace nonviolence and was set to be one the leading lights of the civil rights movement, until his homosexuality made him ‘too risky’ a figurehead. I would love to play him myself, but Dwight Ewell from Stonewall, Chasing Amy, and Punks would probably be better.”
— Rikki Beadle-Blair is proud to have directed and/or written many gay features including Stonewall, Blackbird, Fit, Bashment, and KickOff. He is the winner of two Outfest awards, and his new film, Free, is playing in the festival this year.
- WATCH: How This 12-Year-Old Lacrosse Player Found His Courage
- #TBT: Hollywood Hunks Laid Bare: 1920s-1930s
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- 60 Music Videos That Raised LGBT Visibility
- Thousands Rally in S.C. to 'Stand With God' Against Marriage Equality