Stay In, Eat Up, Make Out
BY Michelle Garcia
February 14 2012 5:38 PM ET
makes 8 servings
3/4 cup sugar
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Sweetened whipped cream, for garnish
1/2 pint fresh berries, for garnish
Preheat your oven to 350°F.
In a small nonstick saucepan, heat the sugar over medium-low heat, swirling the pan occasionally so that it melts evenly. Cook the sugar until it is melted and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Divide the caramel evenly among eight 6-ounce ramekins. Set aside.
In a bowl, stir together the sweetened condensed milk, cream, and milk. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolk, and vanilla. Gradually whisk the milk mixture into the egg mixture, being careful not to incorporate too much air. Pour the custard through a fine-mesh sieve into the ramekins. Place the ramekins in a deep baking dish and place in the oven. Carefully add about 1 inch of hot water to the baking dish to create a water bath. Bake until the flans’ centers are set, about 50 minutes.
Remove the ramekins from the water bath and transfer to a wire rack. Let cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes and then cover and transfer to the refrigerator until ready to serve.
To serve, run a sharp knife carefully around the edge of each flan and then dip the bottom of each ramekin in a bowl of hot water to loosen the caramel. Turn the ramekin over your serving plate and unmold, allowing the caramel to drip on top of and around the flan. Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and a few fresh berries.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor
- Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 1 hour 10 min ago
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 1 hour 15 min ago
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 1 hour 24 min ago
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 1 hour 28 min ago
- Film Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film 1 hour 29 min ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon 1 hour 37 min ago
- Marriage Equality Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor 1 hour 42 min ago