Stay In, Eat Up, Make Out
BY Michelle Garcia
February 14 2012 6:38 PM ET
makes 8 servings
3/4 cup sugar
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Sweetened whipped cream, for garnish
1/2 pint fresh berries, for garnish
Preheat your oven to 350°F.
In a small nonstick saucepan, heat the sugar over medium-low heat, swirling the pan occasionally so that it melts evenly. Cook the sugar until it is melted and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Divide the caramel evenly among eight 6-ounce ramekins. Set aside.
In a bowl, stir together the sweetened condensed milk, cream, and milk. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolk, and vanilla. Gradually whisk the milk mixture into the egg mixture, being careful not to incorporate too much air. Pour the custard through a fine-mesh sieve into the ramekins. Place the ramekins in a deep baking dish and place in the oven. Carefully add about 1 inch of hot water to the baking dish to create a water bath. Bake until the flans’ centers are set, about 50 minutes.
Remove the ramekins from the water bath and transfer to a wire rack. Let cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes and then cover and transfer to the refrigerator until ready to serve.
To serve, run a sharp knife carefully around the edge of each flan and then dip the bottom of each ramekin in a bowl of hot water to loosen the caramel. Turn the ramekin over your serving plate and unmold, allowing the caramel to drip on top of and around the flan. Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and a few fresh berries.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM