Downton Abbey’s Bisexual Duke Cast in Daredevil TV Show
BY Patrick Yacco
May 28 2014 3:15 PM ET
Charlie Cox, briefly seen in Downton Abbey as a bisexual aristocrat, has been cast as the title character in Marvel Studios’ upcoming Daredevil series, reports Variety. Based on the long-running Marvel Comics series of the same name, Daredevil follows the adventures of blind lawyer and crimefighter Matt Murdock.
In addition to his role as Phillip, Duke of Crowborough on Downton Abbey, Cox starred opposite Claire Danes in the fantasy epic Stardust. Currently, Cox plays the role of Owen Sleater in HBO's Boardwalk Empire and is slated to appear in Universal Studios' upcoming vampire movie Dracula Untold. Additionally, Cox played gay in a West End production of Harold Pinter's The Collection.
Daredevil is the first entry in a planned series of programs based on Marvel’s "street-level" heroes. Centered around New York City's Hell's Kitchen neighborhood, Netflix will later release programs based on characters Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage. The four shows will culminate in a team-up series titled Defenders.
While no release dates for the projects have been announced, fans are eagerly awaiting further updates on these entries in the Marvel cinematic universe.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- South Dakota AG: Clerks Can Refuse Same-Sex Marriage Licenses
- 15 More Queers and Allies to Watch in 2015
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- WATCH: Rick Santorum Thinks 'People Aren't Getting Married'
- WATCH: Straight Vlogger Slams Same-Sex Marriage Opponents