5 LGBT Characters We'd Love to See in a Justice League Movie
BY Brian Andersen
June 12 2014 8:00 AM ET
Green Lantern of Earth 2
The original Green Lantern of Earth 2 first appeared during the Golden Age of comics in 1940. He was also the straight absentee father of Obsidian. In 2012 he was rebooted in the relaunched comic book series Earth 2 as an out, proud gay man. The new queer Green Lantern made quite the splash when DC announced he would be coming out of the closet, even sparking a protest from the antigay group One Million Moms.
After the disappointing Ryan Reynolds feature film (the less said about it the better) the new Justice League flick screams for a Green Lantern who isn’t Hal Jordan. There’s been a Green Lantern in nearly every Justice League lineup, so why not a powerful gay one? Not only are his green powers tied to the earth, unlike the spacefaring Hal Jordan (which means less backstory to explain to audiences), Earth 2 Green Lantern has already survived death and returned a bigger badass than before. The Justice League could only benefit from a hero of his strength and caliber.
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- Meet This Year's 'Prime Time 25'
- Why the Mississippi Marriage Win Is Our Most Important Yet
- Texas AG: Same-Sex Couples' Request to Marry 'Untimely, Out of Order'