Hot Sheet: A Young and Wild Deathtrap
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 30 2012 3:58 PM ET
7. THEATER: The Killing of Sister George
The iconic lesbian play, the basis for an equally iconic film, gets a new treatment at New Haven, Conn.’s Long Wharf Theatre with Kathleen Turner in the starring role of June Buckridge, a gin-swilling, cigar-smoking lesbian actress who plays the saintly Sister George on a British radio show. When the good sister is set to be written off the show, June refuses to go quietly. Long Wharf’s team says the late Frank Marcus’s play, considered shocking when it premiered in the 1960s, has been rewritten substantially “to emphasize character relationships,” but we still expect Turner, who also directs, to shock and awe the audience. Performances began this week and continue through December 23.
- Backlash Continues: Angie's List Cancels Indiana Expansion
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- After Indiana, 23 More States Could Pass Discrimination Bills
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'