Hot Sheet: Unpredictable Folk
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 04 2013 3:10 PM ET
7. BOOKS: The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis
Ayana Mathis's debut novel, about a 15-year-old black girl who flees Georgia for a better life in 1923 Philadelphia, already has Oprah Winfrey's seal of approval. Hattie Shepherd, who already had twin babies by the time she got to the city of brotherly love, gives birth to nine more children. The novel, now in paperback, follows the complex Hattie, her children, and her grandchild through a 60-year journey of strength, poverty, race, sexuality, and secrets.
- Panic! at the Disco Counters Westboro Baptist Church Picket With Donation
- Shocking Increase in HIV Diagnosis Rate Among Young Gay, Bi Men
- WATCH: Do Kids Movies Push The 'Gay Agenda'?
- Fox Pundit: Obama Forcing 'Militant LGBT Agenda' on Christians
- GLAAD Studio Responsibility Index Reveals Lack of LGBT Visibility
- Don't Look a Gift Unicorn In the Mouth