Hot Sheet: Unpredictable Folk
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 04 2013 3:10 PM ET
7. BOOKS: The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis
Ayana Mathis's debut novel, about a 15-year-old black girl who flees Georgia for a better life in 1923 Philadelphia, already has Oprah Winfrey's seal of approval. Hattie Shepherd, who already had twin babies by the time she got to the city of brotherly love, gives birth to nine more children. The novel, now in paperback, follows the complex Hattie, her children, and her grandchild through a 60-year journey of strength, poverty, race, sexuality, and secrets.
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- RuPaul's Drag Race's Max: I Made a 'Grave Mistake'
- WATCH: Gay Dream Team of Michael Urie, Randy Harrison in Such Good People
- Prominent Queer Korean, Chicana Leader Killed in Her Atlanta Home
- Fateful Typo Discovered in Ky Peterson's Sentencing