Hot Sheet: Studs and Pearls
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 22 2013 3:00 PM ET
4. BOOKS: Bleeder by Shelby Smoak
"I am Caucasian, five foot eleven, have sandy brown hair, blue eyes, and am a tender slip of bone. And I am at the hospital." That's how Bleeder begins. This memoir is about Smoak, a hemophiliac who, right at the beginning of his college career, learns that he was infected with HIV due to a blood transfusion in the 1990s in North Carolina. Smoak bravely documents his journey of rawness and uncertainty in a way that will have you thinking, feeling, and unexpectedly smiling.
- 6 Bad Signs of a Good Relationship
- 90,000-Plus and Counting: Petition to Cancel Duggars' Show Gains Momentum
- PHOTOS: Jesus Days
- Is Winnie the Pooh Transgender or Intersex?
- Lesbian Couple Worries Antigay Slur on Google Maps is a Hate Crime
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died