Hot Sheet: Studs and Pearls
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 22 2013 4:00 PM ET
4. BOOKS: Bleeder by Shelby Smoak
"I am Caucasian, five foot eleven, have sandy brown hair, blue eyes, and am a tender slip of bone. And I am at the hospital." That's how Bleeder begins. This memoir is about Smoak, a hemophiliac who, right at the beginning of his college career, learns that he was infected with HIV due to a blood transfusion in the 1990s in North Carolina. Smoak bravely documents his journey of rawness and uncertainty in a way that will have you thinking, feeling, and unexpectedly smiling.
- Couple Indicted Over Torture Death of 8-Year-Old They Thought Was Gay
- Michelle Duggar Gets Verdict In Her Quest Against LGBT Ordinance in Ark.
- Hot Sheet: They Are Risen
- Artist Spotlight: Kent Monkman
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Schools Gayle King on Respect for Gender Identity
- Federal Judge Rules Florida's Same-Sex Marriage Ban Unconstitutional