Hot Sheet: Great and Powerful
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 08 2013 2:43 PM ET
8. DVD/Blu-ray: Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away
There are three things that most folks know about Cirque du Soleil at this point: 1) The shows are gorgeous and mesmerizing fêtes of strength, beauty, athleticism, and (occasionally subtextual) homoeroticism. 2) Tickets are pricey. 3) You have to live in a large city or visit one (like Las Vegas) in order to see a Cirque show. As Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away comes out on Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, and DVD (all with UltraViolet, which lets you watch on the cloud and stream anywhere) on Tuesday, the two barriers that have kept LGBT fans from seeing the live shows, are gone. And if you buy DVD or Blu-ray, you'll get 20% off ticket purchase to select Cirque du Soleil live shows (including the LGBT-heavy Zumanity) in the U.S. and Canada until 2014.
The film is well worth the time and money. Executive produced by James Cameron (Avatar, Titanic) and directed by acclaimed filmmaker Andrew Adamson (The Chronicles of Narnia), Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away captures all the performers up close and personal even when they are soaring 70 feet in the air. It’s an immensely immersive experience, with fantastical worlds, amazing costumes (one set reads like Salvador Dali meets zebra people), and the best acrobatics you’ll ever see on film. And the best part is, you get to watch it while sitting on your sofa. Buy it on Amazon here. See the trailer below.
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- Eurovision Winner Who Called Gays an 'Abnormality' Changes Tune
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- 25 Unforgettable Gay TV Kisses