Hot Sheet: Rent Mode
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 22 2013 3:37 PM ET
7. DVD: Strange Frame
This colorful and engrossing new animated lesbian sci-fi rock musical, which debuted on DVD this week and won best feature at Dragon Con 2012, is set 500 years into the future where the human race has abandoned an uninhabited earth. The story explores the power of love between two queer, genetically modified women — saxophonist Parker (Claudia Black from Stargate SG-1) and guitarist Naia (Tara Strong) — who fall in love, make sweet music, and fight for their freedom from the evil Mig (played pitch-perfectly by Rocky Horror’s Tim Curry). This music-infused illusory tale offers vibrant animation that will bring viewers into a world of space pirates, slaves, genetic mutations, and gender blending, as well as some beloved voices (such as Star Trek’s George Takei, A Different World star Cree Summers, Ron Glass from Firefly, and Buffy The Vampire Slayer’s Juliet Landau. Bonus points: Strange Frame is written and directed by lesbian musician Shelley Doty and G.B. Hajim. The DVD includes behind-the-scenes featurettes with star Claudia Black, among others. You can stream, rent, or buy the film at WolfeVideo.com.
- Iowa Couple Plans 1,000 Antigay Billboards
- Op-ed: Why I Unfriended My Mother
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- Texas Rep.: Strand Gays on an Island, See What Happens
- Leslie Jordan: I Threw 'Sweet Iced Tea, Not Coffee' in Starbucks Fight
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'