Hot Sheet: Thrones, Secrets, and Kikis
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 29 2013 3:20 PM ET
2. FILM: Mental
In theaters and VOD today is Mental, from out writer-director P.J. Hogan, the man behind Muriel’s Wedding. Hogan reunites with Muriel herself, Toni Collette, who plays a very different character from the ambitious bride-to-be of the 1994 classic. In Mental, Collette is Shaz, a rough-edged chick hired to care for five daughters after their mother goes “mental” and their politician father ditches them. The dysfunctional family is not only reminiscent of Muriel’s, but based on Hogan’s own story. “My mother had a nervous breakdown and was taken to hospital but that was kept from me,” Hogan said in a statement. “My father who didn’t really have much time for us anyway, was stuck with five of us and didn’t know what to do. So he picked up a hitchhiker on the side of the road and hired her as our family nanny.”
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- Bryan Cranston: 'End This Silliness' of Opposing Marriage Equality
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Scott Eastwood: 'I Support Gay Marriage'
- Rachel Maddow Spoofs Minnesota Senate's 'No Eye Contact' Rule