Hot Sheet: Mommie, Demi, and Daisy
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 10 2013 11:29 AM ET
7. THEATER: A Conversation With Christina Crawford: Live and Onstage in Surviving Mommie Dearest
If you’re looking for the gayest way to observe Mother’s Day, take in this multimedia production in which Christina Crawford discusses the tribulations of having movie idol Joan Crawford as a mom. Christina’s 1978 memoir, Mommie Dearest, portrayed her upbringing as a nightmare of abuse, and it was made into a gay-beloved film in 1981, starring Faye Dunaway as Joan. The show features clips from Christina’s documentary Surviving Mommie Dearest, footage from Joan’s Hollywood films and home movies, a Q&A session, and a book signing. There may be some shockers even for audiences who’ve read Mommie Dearest or seen the movie; Michael Musto of The Village Voice reports that in a preview performance this week, Christina strongly implied that Joan killed Pepsi executive Alfred Steele, who was the film star’s last husband. Now through Sunday at the Snapple Theater Center in New York City.
- 14 Camp Classics We Can't Stop Quoting — Bad Girls Edition
- WATCH: Preview of Tomorrow's Supreme Court Argument
- Bruce Jenner's Republican Revelation Draws Anger, Praise
- Obama Cracks Marriage Equality Jokes at White House Correspondent's Dinner
- Antigay Ark. Rally Eclipsed by Protesters Shouting 'Love Is Love'