Hot Sheet: Well Strung
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2013 7:49 PM ET
8. MUSIC: Dave Koz and Friends, Summer Horns
The out jazz saxophonist and his colleagues offer plenty of “Hot Fun in the Summertime” — as a matter of fact, that’s one of the many delightful tracks on this CD, which celebrates the horn-heavy style that fueled much rock, R&B, soul, and funk music from the late 1960s through the ’70s. On the just-released Concord Records disc, Koz is joined by fellow sax players Gerald Albright, Richard Elliot, and Mindi Abair, with guest appearances by trumpeter-flugelhornist Rick Braun, trombonist Brian Culbertson, and singers Michael McDonald, Jeffrey Osborne, and Jonathan Butler. Their versions of “Rise,” “Take Five,” “25 or 6 to 4,” “God Bless the Child,” and others will put you in a mellow mood. Sample the disc at Koz’s website; also, he and the “friends” will be touring this summer.
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men
- In Protesting Irish Marriage Victory, Westboro Gets the Flag Wrong
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend