Hot Sheet: Hardcore Softball
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 23 2013 2:25 PM ET
3. EVENT: Gay Softball World Series
Batter up! One of North America’s largest LGBT sporting events, the Gay Softball World Series, is stepping up to the plate in the Washington, D.C., area next week, and organizers anticipate that it will be the most widely attended yet. Organized by the North American Gay Amateur Athletic Alliance, this week-long series attracts thousands of fans and features over 150 teams from the U.S. and Canada competing in five different divisions — A, B, C, D, and Masters — who will play on fields just outside the District in Virginia and Maryland. Games are free to attend, and the series also features home-run festivities like the opening ceremonies at Fairgrounds D.C., the Night Out at the Nationals, a talent show, and the GrandSlam Closing Dance Party at Town Danceboutique. Proceeds benefit various LGBT organizations, including the You Can Play Project, Team D.C., and the Ben Cohen StandUp Foundation. For more information, visit DCSeries2013.com.
Pictured above, the Montrose Softball League from the 2012 series
- Mormon Missionary Positions
- Charles Barkley: Move Final Four Out of Indiana
- The Only 2 Things to Know Out of Mike Pence's Dissembling Interview
- Alan Cumming Is Bisexual — And You Might Be Too
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- Tim Cook on Standing Up to Discrimination: 'It’s Time for All of Us'