Hot Sheet: Go-getters
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 06 2013 3:00 PM ET
9. THEATER: Women’s Work Weekend
Pride Films and Plays of Chicago presents enhanced staged readings of six finalists chosen from the entries in its annual Women’s Work competition for plays and screenplays written by women and featuring lesbian characters or themes. The lineup: Let All Mortal Flesh by Pat Montley, a drama set in 1955 about a young girl in an oppressive environment; Sweetwater by Christina Hulen, a World War II–set romance involving a woman in the military; The Green Door by Gail Hackston, focused on a young woman, about to be married, who meets an unusual woman in 1960s London; 180 Degree Rule by M.E.H. Lewis and Barbara Lhota, dealing with a film professor seeking the missing masterpiece of a long-dead lesbian director; Semi-Circle by Eileen Tull, in which two women confront a tragic love in the past, present, and future; and Moon Dancers by Mary Steelsmith, with two teenage girls meeting in secret at a church camp. The event opens a week from tonight, September 13, and continues through September 15 at the Center on Halsted’s Hoover-Leppen Theatre. Check here for tickets and info.
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Bryan Cranston: 'End This Silliness' of Opposing Marriage Equality
- Scott Eastwood: 'I Support Gay Marriage'
- Michigan Trans Teen Skater's Suicide Rocks Roller Derby Community