Hot Sheet: Fund-Raisin' in the Sun
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 12 2013 4:35 PM ET
4. BOOKS: Love in the Time of Global Warming
Francesca Lia Block (best-selling author of Weetzie Bat) continues her frank, nonjudgmental examination of themes such as casual sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity in her latest novel, Love in the Time of Global Warming — a stunning reimagining of Homer's Odyssey, set in a post-apocalyptic Los Angeles. The official synopsis of the novel reads as follows: "Her life by the sea in ruins, Pen has lost everything in the Earth Shaker that all but destroyed the city of Los Angeles. She sets out into the wasteland to search for her family, her journey guided by a tattered copy of Homer’s Odyssey. Soon she begins to realize her own abilities and strength as she faces false promises of safety, the cloned giants who feast on humans, and a madman who wishes her dead. On her voyage, Pen learns to tell stories that reflect her strange visions, while she and her fellow survivors navigate the dangers that lie in wait. In her signature style, Francesca Lia Block has created a world that is beautiful in its destruction and as frightening as it is lovely. At the helm is Pen, a strong heroine who holds hope and love in her hands and refuses to be defeated." Available at Amazon.com.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment