Hot Sheet: Waiting for Spartacus
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 24 2013 4:36 PM ET
2.) FILM: I Am Divine
Jeffrey Schwarz is no stranger to the art of the LGBT biopic. The Los Angeles-based filmmaker created Vito (2011), a stellar portrayal of the gay rights activist Vito Russo. This year, he returns with another portrait of a gay legend, I Am Divine, which chronicles the life and times of one of America’s most famous and controversial drag queens. Divine is perhaps best known as John Waters’ muse — the drag queen who, in his quest to become the filthiest person in the world, ate dog feces in the cult classic Pink Flamingos. But Schwarz literally cuts the crap, providing a candid portrait of the man behind the makeup — Harris Glenn Milstead — and his rise from an overweight and effeminate child in the Baltimore suburbs to “Drag Queen of the Century,” as dubbed by People magazine. The documentary includes interviews with John Waters, Ricki Lake, Bruce Vilanch, Tab Hunter, Michael Musto, and many more of Divine’s friends and contemporaries. — Daniel Reynolds
I Am Divine comes out Friday in Manhattan theaters. Watch the teaser below:
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law