Hot Sheet: Guys on Film
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 08 2013 5:01 PM ET
9. THEATER: The Columnist
David Auburn’s play about the late closeted gay political columnist Joseph Alsop, produced on Broadway last year, gets its West Coast premiere courtesy of L.A. Theatre Works. Alsop, who died in 1989, was one of the most powerful Washington commentators of the 1950s and ’60s, a crusader against McCarthyism, a pal of President Kennedy, and a promoter of the Vietnam war. But he could never reveal the truth about his life. L.A. Theatre Works presents the play Thursday through November 17 at UCLA’s James Bridges Theatre and will record the production for its nationally syndicated public radio series. John Vickery (Broadway’s The Lion King) stars as Alsop; also appearing are Tara Lynne Barr, Wilson Bethel, John Getz, David Krumholtz, and JoBeth Williams. Auburn, a Pulitzer winner for Proof, directs as well. Tickets here. — Trudy Ring
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law