Hot Sheet: Guys on Film
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 08 2013 5:01 PM ET
9. THEATER: The Columnist
David Auburn’s play about the late closeted gay political columnist Joseph Alsop, produced on Broadway last year, gets its West Coast premiere courtesy of L.A. Theatre Works. Alsop, who died in 1989, was one of the most powerful Washington commentators of the 1950s and ’60s, a crusader against McCarthyism, a pal of President Kennedy, and a promoter of the Vietnam war. But he could never reveal the truth about his life. L.A. Theatre Works presents the play Thursday through November 17 at UCLA’s James Bridges Theatre and will record the production for its nationally syndicated public radio series. John Vickery (Broadway’s The Lion King) stars as Alsop; also appearing are Tara Lynne Barr, Wilson Bethel, John Getz, David Krumholtz, and JoBeth Williams. Auburn, a Pulitzer winner for Proof, directs as well. Tickets here. — Trudy Ring
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- 10 Tips on Growing Older for LGBT People Under 40
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'
- Alabama's Antigay Judge Roy Moore Slapped With New Ethics Charges
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'