Hot Sheet: Pease On Middle Earth
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 12 2013 8:50 PM ET
4. FILM: Saving Mr. Banks
In Saving Mr. Banks, Disney delves into the making of one of its most iconic films, Mary Poppins, which, apparently, was almost never made. Walt Disney (Tom Hanks) had courted the creator of the original book, bisexual novelist P.L. Travers (Emma Thompson), for years, in order to obtain the rights to the story that had captivated his daughters during their childhood. The film depicts the power struggle between smooth-talking Disney and the reluctant Travers, whose own childhood, involving an alcoholic father (Colin Farrell) and an intervening aunt, serve as the real-life inspiration for the tale. With strong leading performances from both Hanks and Thompson, the film also features many of the original songs from Mary Poppins, which may have viewers singing in their seats to one of the holiday season’s most magical films. Saving Mr. Banks opens in theaters this weekend. Watch the trailer below. — Daniel Reynolds
- Op-ed: 'Religious Discrimination' Laws Have Nothing to Do With Religion
- Indiana Newspaper Sends Big Message
- These Indiana Businesses Haven't Weighed in on Discrimination
- Subaru Comes Out Against Indiana's 'License to Discriminate'
- Gov. Mike Pence: 'This Is a Perception Problem'
- Op-ed: Angelina Jolie's Choice Bolsters the Trans Argument