Hot Sheet: On Midler! On Madea! On Cooper! On Britney!
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 19 2013 7:08 PM ET
6. THEATER: Road Show
Start the New Year right with a Stephen Sondheim rarity making its Bay Area premiere. Sondheim, considered by most to be America’s greatest living theater composer (he’s also a member of our tribe), contributes music and lyrics to John Weidman’s book about the colorful, real-life Mizner brothers and their many get-rich-quick schemes in the late 19th and early 20th centuries — seeking gold in the Yukon, designing homes in Florida, and opening restaurants (the Brown Derby) in Hollywood. Sondheim’s first new musical since 1994’s Passion, the show (previously titled Bounce, Wise Guys, and Gold!) ran off-Broadway in 2008 and in London in 2011, but it’s remained unseen otherwise. San Francisco’s Theatre Rhinoceros is rectifying the situation with a limited engagement, January 2-19, at the Eureka Theatre. Beginning January 9, director John Fisher will give a half-hour presentation on Sondheim before each performance. Tickets and info here; also, in nearby Benicia, the Benicia Historical Museum has an exhibit on the Mizners through January. — Trudy Ring
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- t.A.T.u. Singer OK with Lesbians, But Being Gay Is 'Unmanly'
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- WATCH: Straight Dad Punched For Calling Out Woman's Antigay Slurs
- Hot Sheet: Openly Serving, Openly Loving