Hot Sheet: The Passion of Joe Orton
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 30 2014 4:05 PM ET
10. TV: And the Oscar Goes to…
Yes, we know there’s a big football game this weekend, but let’s be honest: The Oscars ceremony is our Super Bowl. It’s still a month off, but you can start building the excitement with this terrific new documentary by directors Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman (The Celluloid Closet, Lovelace) for TCM. This history of the Oscars features plenty of classic onstage moments along with previously unseen backstage footage from ceremonies past, plus interviews with stars, directors, writers, designers, and more. Among the highlights: Cher on playing an “adorable lesbian” in Silkwood, which resulted in her first Oscar nomination and respect for her acting talent; writer Bruce Vilanch on making the host funny; Helen Mirren being brilliant about pretty much everything; and chats with Liza Minnelli, George Clooney, Ellen Burstyn, Jane Fonda, Whoopi Goldberg, and many, many others. It premieres Saturday at 8 p.m. Eastern and will have several encore showings throughout the month. Also, Saturday marks the start of TCM’s 31 Days of Oscar, with every film on the schedule having been a winner or nominee in some category. You’ll see more stars than there are in the heavens! Find more about the documentary here. — Trudy Ring
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- Vatican Official Calls Irish Marriage Vote 'Defeat for Humanity'
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend