Hot Sheet: Let The Games Begin
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 06 2014 5:10 PM ET
5. Book: Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith
Teenager Austin Szerba's going through all the normal problems of growing up: he's got a girlfriend, he's struggling with his sexuality, he's constantly horny, and he's accidentally unleashed a wave of six-foot-tall praying mantises onto his town. As the world crashes down around him in this Andrew Smith young adult novel, Austin remains far more invested in sorting through his feelings for girlfriend Shann and best friend Robby, but eventually has to face down the near-apocalypse. A coming-of-age story for a new age of young readers, Smith's book is the kind of strange story with bisexual themes we love. — Kevin O'Keeffe
- Op-ed: 'Religious Discrimination' Laws Have Nothing to Do With Religion
- Indiana Newspaper Sends Big Message
- Gov. Mike Pence: 'This Is a Perception Problem'
- These Indiana Businesses Haven't Weighed in on Discrimination
- Subaru Comes Out Against Indiana's 'License to Discriminate'
- Op-ed: Angelina Jolie's Choice Bolsters the Trans Argument