Hot Sheet: If These Sheets Could Talk
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 28 2014 5:27 PM ET
2. FILM: Campaign of Hate: Russia and Gay Propaganda
Michael Lucas, the founder of the gay adult film company Lucas Entertainment, returns to his native Russia in his latest documentary, Campaign of Hate: Russia and Gay Propaganda. Set against the backdrop of the Sochi Winter Olympics, the film sets out to capture the increasingly regressive political policies and societal treatment of LGBT Russians, who has experienced violence and maltreatment in the wake of the passage of the nation’s “gay propaganda” law. Through the eyes of Lucas, who was born Andrei Lvovich Treivas in Moscow, the viewer gains the unique perspective of a gay man who, after finding prosperity in the West, returns to his homeland to interview LGBTs and those such as antigay politician Vitaly Milonov who seek to further undermine their freedoms. Campaign of Hate is released on DVD Tuesday and VOD this May. It is also available for rent on the streaming service Reelhouse. Watch the trailer below. — Daniel Reynolds
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People