Hot Sheet: Straight, Cuban, and in Love
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 18 2014 7:46 PM ET
10. FILM: Outfest: Closing Weekend
Don’t miss the closing weekend of Outfest, the premier LGBT film festival of Los Angeles. Tonight brings the screening of Tiger Orange at the Ford Theatre, featuring porn star-turned-actor Johnny Hazzard as a gay man estranged from his brother, as well as the debut of The Dog, a true-crime documentary on John Wojtowicz, whose robbery to fund his partner’s gender reassignment surgery inspired the film Dog Day Afternoon. Saturday’s lineup at the Directors Guild of America also boasts some of the strongest programming of the festival, including the powerful documentary Back on Board: Greg Louganis, the drama Last Weekend starring Patricia Clarkson, the lesbian prostitute comedy The Foxy Merkins, and the chilling suspense film Tom at the Farm. On Sunday, be sure to check out the Outfest Awards Brunch, where the festival winners will be announced, as well as It Got Better panel featuring George Takei, Jason Collins, Dan Bucatinsky, lawyer Melissa Goodman, and moderator Michelle Garcia, The Advocate’s managing editor. And finally, the Closing Night Gala at the Ford Theatre features a screening of Space Station 76, the farcical sci-fi film starring Patrick Wilson, Matt Bomer, and Liv Tyler, followed by one last soiree. For a full schedule, visit Outfest.org. — Daniel Reynolds
- Mormon Missionary Positions
- Jamie Foxx Called Out for Crossing Line on Bruce Jenner Jokes
- Is This Photo Proof Mike Pence Knew RFRA Discriminates Against LGBTs?
- Tim Cook on Standing Up to Discrimination: 'It’s Time for All of Us'
- The Only 2 Things to Know Out of Mike Pence's Dissembling Interview
- Charles Barkley: Move Final Four Out of Indiana