Hot Sheet: GameBoys
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 08 2014 7:07 PM ET
7. TV: The Knick
Directed by Steven Soderbergh, The Knick is a highly anticipated dramatic series that centers around a hospital in the early 20th century. Clive Owen stars as Dr. John Thackery, an opiate-addicted doctor at the Knickbocker Hospital in New York, who is tasked alongside his staff with bringing down the city’s high mortality rate. The series shines a spotlight on the medical procedures that were considered the great advances in the field during their day — though they may seem bloody and barbaric to modern audiences — as well as racial tensions in a metropolis where medical care facilities were still segregated by skin color. The Knick premieres tonight at 10 Eastern on Cinemax. Watch the trailer below. — Daniel Reynolds
- Op-ed: Be a Lady, Not a Tramp
- Michael Sam Released From Dallas Cowboys, Vows to Fight for Opportunity to 'Play Every Sunday'
- Last-Minute Gift Ideas for the Catholic Who Suddenly Wants to Be Friends
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- NYT Columnist Charles Blow on Being Labeled Bisexual
- Playwright Responds to N.C. High School That Canceled Play Due to Gay Scene